Random High Ping

This is an off-topic thread for talking about whatever.

Moderator: VileAce

Raiju

May 22nd, 2019, 12:43 pm

Hey, so I've played on this server for the better part of two years now, just recently changed my Arma username. Anyways, my usual ping is around 136, but recently when I try to join, it will spike up closer to 500 and I get kicked. Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance.

-Chris

VileAce
Site Admin

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

May 22nd, 2019, 2:32 pm

There are many things that can cause a high ping rate. Ping is simply the time to get from source to destination, it is not related to upload or download speeds. You can use tools like TRACERT in windows to find any point along the path that may be causing your high ping. This link discusses how to read the TRACERT output, which might help you identify the "bad hops" in the route to us. (https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support ... traceroute)

You can TRACERT directly to the Altis server, 108.61.9.162, but be aware we have configured our server and routers to respond to ICMP echo requests as a low priority. There are other tools like TraceTCP which will allow you to trace to a specific port. If you do that, you can try a trace to 108.61.9.162 port 2302.

We make every effort to provide the best connectivity to all of our players worldwide. Our Altis server is located in the New York Centurylink /Level3 datacenter, which is considered one of the internet backbone locations. Having the server located on the backbone limits the hops between you/your service provider and our server. In my case, I am one hop from my ISP's network to the Altis server.

If you feel that the ping is hi9gher than it should be, I recommend that you contact your ISP. It is not uncommon for routers to go bad and cause high ping and/or high packet loss.

Hope this helps.

• Information