AI AA vs Player AA

Please provide any feedback regarding the Wastelands Server.

Moderator: VileAce

Spuds

July 15th, 2019, 8:57 am

Question; I don't know too much about the server end of things but can anything be done about the vastly unfair advantage enemy AA has? I'll pop every flare i got and the missiles still hit me, they dodge like 2/3rds of my AA except when in the tigris, they don't dodge those so well. Ground tho, Titan AA's which is what I assume the AI are using the enemy can dodge so many but nearly every one hits me.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown@1064MHz
MSI H110M GAMING
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
232GB TOSHIBA (SATA (SSD))

Shadow.TMP

July 15th, 2019, 1:51 pm

well when dodging missiles u cant rely on only flares, u have to also do evasive maneuvers. I think another aspect of it is the fact that the enemy aa has over whelming numbers and just fire missile after missile while player only fire 1 or 2.

VileAce
Site Admin

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

July 15th, 2019, 2:26 pm

There is a skill in using flares. Using too many flares is as bad as not flaring at all. When you flare to much you are actually guiding the missile directly to you. The purpose of the flare is to give the missile another target. It is best to flare one burst when the missile is approximately 1.5 k away and change your direction by 90 degrees. It also helps to change your attitude at the same time as changing direction, but you need to be careful not to bleed off too much speed. You need to keep your speed up for the next missile that is sure to be shot.
MissileAvoidence.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Riot

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

July 15th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Majority of my Wasteland hours are spent in littlebird, and whit it I manged to dodge AA from ground and air. Combination of angle relative to rocket path, caff flare dispenses and the ability to spot threat early were the ticket. My SOP is when missile threat is detected (around 4 K out sensors detect targets):

EVASION SOP ROTARY

missile 4 k out: Turn tail toward the missile threat, gain speed (energy)
missile 3 k out: gain a bit of altitude (to make space for sharp turn) (still at speed) star turning left or right
missile 2 k out: track missile, if possible VID. Finish turning to 90 degrees of missile
missile 1 k out: exchange all speed for height (will get you around a hundred meters or so alt) and turn sharply towards missile tracking missiles path. When Its reeeeeealy close (around 500m, I remember the sight picture, I cant say how far missile is at, below 1 k for sure, almost half way to you). Now you are in a position were missile used most of its fuel, and its climbing at an angle turning towards you. Perfect situation to push missiles AoA (angle of attack, basically how sharp a turn it can make at certain speed more or less) I tip the nose now almost looking at the missile which is now at my like 10 o'clock, and then just trade that height for speed toward the missile and jinx back away from the missile with nose up when you feel it should hit you. Dispense caff flare through acceleration.
With that kind of procedures I doged multiple threats no problem, and outcomes are quite realistic imo. For instance I would be able to shake 2 missiles the third one would corner me, or I would manage to loose missile behind a hill. If we would know what parameters missiles use in ARMA 3 (how does the game actually track targets for missles.? Is it diferrent tracking between radar or heat seeking, how are they modeled to fly , AoAs and such...) it would be much easier to discuss evasive tactics. Will try to find out more!

EDIT: oh Vile, we posted at the same time :P yours have pictures :))
Creating riots since 1985

VileAce
Site Admin

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

July 15th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Riot you explain it very well.

Riot

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

July 15th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Thank you Vile! On the AI note, when I engage them (from ground) they tend to use similar tactics. Fast movers use speed to outrun the missiles. If you shoot at AI from close, fast mover will jinx to close the angle to the missile and dispense chaff flare, and usually defeat it. Armored rotary, such as Apache can just soak up some hits, so fire multiple AA for increase of hit. Frequency is important, as Vile said before, the moment they do a turn to dodge a missile, another should be be under 1 k away from the fast mover to hit it effectively and to ignore chaff flare for previous one.

You want the first rocket to make pilot evade it and focus on it, while second missile being to close to him to react to. Second is that this creates converging missile paths toward a target. Due to the movement of target, missiles spaced around 1 to 1,5 k from each other will try to cut of targets path, first one will overturn and miss due to targets turn, but that will put target on seconds rockets 10 to11 o'clock position with missile being under 1 k away from tgt.

2 rockets fired in quick succession will have parallel paths to the target (because they fly close apart). For a pilot, that is only one threat to defeat. Multiple missiles but single sided threat. With AA you want multiple simultaneous threats towards air targets with different vectors of attack. (For instance two or three AA launcher spaced around 50 to 100m (could be a nice topic on its own) apart engaging the same target at the similar times to achieve and maximize converging paths effect)

GROUND TO AIR ENGAGEMENT SOP (Titan AA) 1 shooter
So I would fire one, count 2 Mississippi, fire another.
That gives (Titan AA) rocket around 1 k spacing between them.
AI turns to dodge the first, and another catches it when he is coming out of a turn beyond chaff flare series that AI dropped in a turn. Be advised, for this frequency optimum engagement range is around 2 k out of target. Far enough for missiles to attain speed and angle, and close enough to trap a fast mover in second missiles envelope.

Ground AI on Wasteland fires AA in that frequency (i think its multiple AI firing at me so it spaces out like that naturally). Those double 1 k spacing missile attack were hardest to defeat. Makes for a very efficient trap.

Spuds

July 16th, 2019, 5:44 am

holy cow there's a whole art to this lol... Since the ai on wastelands usually wont react until youre really close (ground ones and tanks, ac react the moment you show up on radar) most of the missiles fired at me are within 1k i have been trying to extend and evade... while popping flares. my 1st mistake was popping a lot of them. 2nd mistake it says to exchange speed for alt... i've been going lower trying to go faster and get away lol
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
MSI H110M GAMING

Spuds

July 16th, 2019, 5:44 am

This should be somewhere in our forums under tutorials lol
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
MSI H110M GAMING

Riot

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

July 16th, 2019, 6:59 am

Yeah, you don't want to try to outrun it unless you are in a fast mover and rocket is flying at you from long range. If slow, attack the missiles AoA.

Yeah, if you are slow, some altitude will give a missle more to work for, you get clearer missle VID. And being slower gives you GREAT manuverability at the end stages of missiles flight.

Concerning trading altitude for speed, its ok to stay low and fast if you have a hill to hide behind, it's more risky though because missle cans still reaquire you.

It is art man, like dogfighting, it's a dance of energy management and manevre. Gotta love it <3

Spuds

July 16th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Well thank you both for the help. I didn't know any of that.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
MSI H110M GAMING

• Information