Runway Direction Discussion

This forum is for general issues relating to pilots. Players have made excellent suggestions which get lost in the larger discussion groups. You are welcome to discuss mod recommendations, configurations, and all around general information, related to being a pilots on the server.

Moderator: VileAce

VileAce
Site Admin

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 13th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Moved from homepage quick chat. Feel free to add your 2 cents or even a nickel.

sycholic 1/12/2019 4:54
suggest adding directional arrows on runways so people stop driving against the norm, just had my first air collision in the whole time I been playing here, and 6 near misses in the past 2 days..

c0p0ut 2:32
@sycholic: Runways are typically bi-directional if they have pavement markings at both ends identifying the runway number. The direction used is based on wind direction, which I don't think we utilize in Arma3.

sycholic 3:02
yeah what I mean so we drive on the rights as in the right runway... regardless of direction you going everyone following same direction. head on collision cuz someone decides to land on the left... then turn out right in front of someone taking off let alone 6 close calls in 2 days.. cuz people going the other way. is all Im bringing up. could be new player why was asking if we can get a uniform standard with visual help on the map to indicate this.

VileAce 7:07
@sycholic: @c0p0ut: We should move this discussion to the forums, but when I first started playing on NAK is was common practice to take off one direction and land another, but over time the standard fell away. As all pilots are required to be on TeamSpeak, when there is no ATC, I ask pilot just to communicate their landings and take offs. If a NAK elite chooses not to be in TS, they will not have this information, but that is their choice.

JimCarter

NAK Tac

NAK Command

NAK Elite

January 13th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I dont think we should add runways direction markers because avoiding air collisions should be relatively easy since this is something that both the pilots landing and taking off can avoid. for pilots taking off, a quick look at the map and it is easy to see if there is a plane that is lined up for landing, a glance at the air can confirm or decline if they are landing. for the pilot in the air checking the map is even easier since pilots will mostly be taking off from the fixed wing taxi way or the bobcat taxi way. If the landing plane does a pass by before landing which I think should always be done to check for debris it can also see a plane that is taxing or about to take off either line up on the other runway or do a swing around.
It is wrong always, everywhere and for everyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence" – W. K. Clifford

sycholic

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 14th, 2019, 7:30 am

yeah Jim I used to think that.... till within 2 days 1 collision (the first ever on the server in 2 years) and 6 near misses (all involved someone going head on...). and Im not gonna say nothing more then this 'when I said something about it I was told to shut up and drop it' in game... and half hour later the collision happened. so I came here. Im just saying its a lot easier to avoid someone if you both moving the same direction. head on it is a lot harder. esp in a jet cuz you lose the ability to turn over a certain speed. since we dont follow the common rule of wind defines which direction people land like how it is IRL and Im not suggesting that but a script that auto defines that based on wind direction would be actually cool... we just should have a defined standard.

Honestly Im surprised that Im getting this much resistance against it for a simple 'always use the right or always use the left runway' rule. which would require nothing more then picking a direction, then putting a couple map markers on the runways to indicate it. Im not saying only 1 runway... Im referring to how you looking at the pair always use the 'left' or 'right' I dont think people in europe would appreciate me doing200km/h down the autobaun going the wrong way down the road... let alone on Interstate 95 in the states, just because I 'feel like it' even the landing autopilot lands a specific direction every time (I believe)

Bandit-Angel 1-

NAK Tac

NAK Command

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 14th, 2019, 6:11 pm

If this has only happened once in two years I don't think there should necessarily be a "fix" on a problem that isn't really there. To put it in perspective think of it like this; you may obey all traffic laws on the road but there are still other people making illegal uturns and not following the arrows on the mall parking lots.

I think the key to fixing this recent issue you're seeing is checking your map as well as voice/type chat in TS and in-game.
"Throw me to the wolves but know I will return leading the pack"

Cuff

January 15th, 2019, 4:30 am

Being how vast and large the airspace is, i don't understand how easy it is for planes to collide when they also have radar and positive communication.

xBroleh

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

January 15th, 2019, 6:40 am

It has happened to me sometime where another player will start taking off from the other side of the runway as I am rolling and have crashed into me. It is a real problem sometimes as most players dont even check their maps when taking off, but I dont really think direction arrows would really change anything at all, as there are players who even take off in the taxiways because they cant be bothered to taxi all the way to the runway.

VileAce
Site Admin

NAK Command

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 15th, 2019, 8:59 am

Next time one of you are on sycholic, go ahead and place arrows on the map and see if it helps at all. The direction of landing/take off will not be required or enforced in any way, but it can be used as an experiment to; see how many people follow the suggestion; if it will help prevent crashes at the terminal.

Spuds

January 17th, 2019, 10:47 am

ok real world rules are you take off into the wind and land against it. Since wind usually blows from the west to the east all take offs should be towards the west. similarly all landings should come from the east. This determines the active runway. Lets say the server had weather and the wind was from the south. Since the runways angle slightly from east to west take off and landing would remain the same. Now if it was from the north then we would land and take off the other way.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown@1064MHz
MSI H110M GAMING
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
232GB TOSHIBA (SATA (SSD))

Bandit-Angel 1-

NAK Tac

NAK Command

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm

We had a Stealth Wasp parked on the end of 04R last night with no fuel and damaged gear which for some reason couldn't be repaired by the scroll wheel option (gear was down). Golden and I used the map to mark runway 04R/22L closed, communicated in TS as well as side chat in game, and we diverted all aircraft until the tow vehicle to get it safely back to the repair area. Total runway closure was approx 5-7 minutes.

Zero mishaps due to great coordination through all communication channels. I think this speaks volumes and shows no changes are needed.
"Throw me to the wolves but know I will return leading the pack"

Novix

NAK Tac

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 19th, 2019, 6:13 am

When there is a decent ATC online, providing pilots are in Teamspeak, it has been running like a well oiled machine. There has been great coordination, rotary and jets. Jets have been landing and taking off, rotary has been approaching parallel to 22R or intersecting both runways at a height as to not interfere with take off or landings.

The way the 2 runways are setup with bobcats, the only convenient and tendency of pilots is to land on 04R, which has ILS, go all the way to the end, circle around to 22R, rearm refuel at the bobcat at the end of the runway and then take off.

I don't know if its possible, but i'd like to see a slight restructuring of the runways, adding a small tarmac on the outside of the runways to pull over and rearm / refuel at the bobcat and in addition, put a bobcat with tarmac on all 4 corners, or 2 corners of the opposing side of 22L & 04R of the outside of the runways.
Also I'd like to see a widened 22R just like 22L, and tarmac extensions. I think it would be great and wouldn't take very much effort.

Please agree or disagree with me, I'm highly interested in this subject for some healthy debate.

Novix
ALTIS AIRPORT UPDATE.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Leaders require consistent Integrity and Patience"

• Information